Theme: Explore the Sacrament of Baptism
Virtue: Courage (to be brave; to face fear, danger or difficulties with strength in the Lord)
Having a good backpack is essential when you’re going on an adventure through the wilderness! Have fun decorating your Wilderness Adventure Backpack and bring it to VBS each day. You can use it to store your water bottle and other fun VBS items.
- Canvas Drawstring Backpack
- Stencils (trees, animals, crosses, etc.)
- Nature stickers
- Fabric markers
- Insert a large piece of paper inside each backpack so the fabric markers don’t bleed through the canvas.
- Write your name on your backpack.
- Use markers, stencils and stickers to decorate your backpack.
HOLY WATER FONTS
When we enter the church, we bless ourselves with holy water from the font. Every time we bless ourselves with holy water, we make the sign of the cross and say, “In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.” It reminds us of our Baptism and how we are part of God’s family. You can hang this Holy Water Font in your room or place it in your prayer spot.
- Small wooden plaque (1/child) (available at most dollar stores)
- Mini plastic cup (1/child)
- Stickers, jewels, foam shapes, etc.
- String and tape
- Baptism clipart
- Glue Dots (available at most craft stores)
- Permanent marker
- (Opt.) Holy water in small containers
- Print the Baptism clipart.
- Write your name on the back of the plaque.
- Decorate it with clipart, stickers, and jewels. Remember to leave room for the water font cup.
- Place Glue Dots on one side of the mini cup and stick it to the plaque. Younger children will need help with the glue dots.
(Opt.) Provide holy water in small containers for the children to take home.
SACRAMENT SEARCH BOTTLES
The seven sacraments are a very important part of our faith life. The seven different items that you will place in your bottle can help remind you of the sacraments. Shake it up and have fun using your Sacrament Search Bottles.
- Plastic bottle (1/child)
- Colored sand or rice (1.5 cups/child)
- 7 small items in a snack size bag (1/child)
- (blue marble, round vitamin, red tinsel pompom, eraser, small Band-Aid, small rock, yellow bead)
- Small funnels
- Clear tape (or glue stick)
- Colorful tape
- Scissors and markers
- Sacrament Search labels (1/child)
- (Opt.) Dye the rice with food coloring.
- Color your Sacrament Search Label and put your name on it.
- Tape the label to the bottle using tape or glue stick.
- Put all seven sacrament items inside the bottle.
- Fill the bottle (3/4 full) with sand (or rice) using a funnel.
- Add the bottle cap and tape it securely with colorful tape.
- Shake your bottle and have fun trying to find all the sacrament items!
- The blue marble reminds us of the waters of Baptism.
- The vitamin reminds of the Eucharist because it’s like a vitamin for our soul.
- The red pompom reminds us of the spark of the Holy Spirit that we receive in Confirmation.
- The eraser reminds us that in Reconciliation, all our sins are wiped away.
- The Band-Aid reminds us of those who are sick and in need of Jesus’ healing in the Anointing of the Sick.
- The rock reminds us of the sacrament of Holy Orders, and that priests, deacons, and bishops ROCK! They are called by God to a special mission to serve the church.
- The yellow bead looks like a beautiful, gold wedding ring used in the sacrament of Marriage.
COLOR ME T-SHIRTS
These Color-Me T-Shirts are a lot of fun for kids! They are a great keepsake of our Wilderness Adventure through the Sacraments VBS.
- White t-shirt (1/child) Click here to access T-shirt graphics
- Fabric markers
- Email the graphic to your local t-shirt company and get the shirts printed a few weeks in advance.
- Color your t-shirt.
- Have your friends autograph the back.
The wilderness is filled with so many of God’s amazing animals. Choose an animal mask to color and use as a fun prop for VBS.
- Animal Masks
- Colored markers
- Scissors and tape
- Thin wooden craft sticks
- Print the Animal Masks.
- Choose an Animal Mask to color.
- Cut it out and tape a stick to your mask.
Enjoy using it to take fun photos during the week.