Theme: Explore the Sacrament of Confirmation
Virtue: Perseverance (not giving up; keep trying with determination)
FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT
The fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. The Holy Spirit wants to fill us with all these “special fruits” so we can share them with others.
- Fruits of the Spirit cards (Approx. 6 cards/child)
- Determine a start and finish line.
- Spread out the Fruits of the Spirit cards face down on the opposite end of the games area.
- Sit down on the start line.
- Each of you will receive one Fruit of the Spirit card and the remaining cards will be scattered face down at the other end of the games area.
- I am going to call out one of the Fruits of the Spirit. For example, I may say: “Who has Joy?” Those who have a Joy card will show me their card, go and grab another card and run back to the start line. Those players will now have two cards in their hand. It might be a Joy card and a Love card or maybe two Joy cards.
- I will continue to call out Fruits of the Spirit.
- The first player to collect three matching cards wins. Play multiple rounds.
Ages: 4-6 years old
- Print the Musical Animals and arrange the pictures in a circle in the games area.
- When the music starts, dance around the circle.
- When the music stops, put your foot on a picture. I’m going to call out an animal and whoever is touching that animal picture is the winner. Remember, more than one person can be touching the same animal. Ex. Who caught a skunk? Whoever has their toe on a skunk is the winner. Give out little prizes. Continue the game until everyone had a chance to win a round.
WIND OF THE SPIRIT
Wind is a symbol of the Holy Spirit. We can’t see the wind, but we know it is powerful and it keeps things moving. This game will remind us that we need to allow the Holy Spirit to guide us and lead us to where He wants us to go.
- Feathers (1/child)
- Determine a start and finish line. Short distance for younger kids and approx. 15 feet away for older kids.
- Get on your hands and knees and place your feather on the start line.
- Try to be the first person to blow your feather to the finish line. You could play this game with partners and take turns blowing the feather.
SEALED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT
This game is similar to Pin the Tail on the Donkey. We’ll see how close you can seal (or pin) the Holy Spirit to your heart. In the sacrament of Confirmation, a Bishop anoints the person with holy oil and says: “Be sealed with the Holy Spirit.” The Holy Spirit is strengthened in us in Confirmation and our hearts are filled with peace, love and joy.
Ages: 4-6 year olds
- Blindfold (1/team)
- Tape and colored markers
- Holy Spirit game pieces (1/child)
- Poster game sheet (1/team)
- Print the poster and Holy Spirit (dove) game pieces.
- Cut up the game pieces.
- Write your name on the dove, which is a symbol of the Holy Spirit. Give each child a piece of tape to place on the back of their dove.
- We’ll spin you around blindfolded and see if you can seal the Holy Spirit on the heart.
- As each player takes a turn, ask them to say: “ Come Holy Spirit, live in my Heart”!
HULA-HOOP A FRUIT GROUP
When we have the Holy Spirit in our hearts, we are able to show the Fruits of the Spirit which are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
Ages: 7 and up
- Large hula-hoop (1/group)
- Basket (1/group)
- Colored paper (1 different color/group)
- Fruits of the Spirit game sheet
- (Opt.) Fruit chewy candies for prizes
- Print and cut the game sheets on different colored paper.
- Spread them around the games area.
- Give each group a basket or bag and a hula-hoop.
- Divide into equal groups and grab hold of your group’s hulahoop.
- You must stay connected to your group’s hula-hoop for the entire game.
- On the signal go, your group must collect all 9 Fruits of the Spirit cards in your basket/bag. Ex. Group #1 collects all red fruit of the spirit game cards. Group #2 collects all green cards, etc…
- The first group to collect all their Fruit of the Spirit Cards wins.
A BLESSING OF BUBBLES
We are so blessed! The Holy Spirit showers us with many blessings each day. When we count our blessings, we are filled with love, joy and peace. May these bubbles be a reminder of all the blessings in our life.
Ages: 4-6 year olds
- Bubbles and bubble wands
- The leaders are going to blow bubbles.
- Have fun counting all the bubbles that you catch.