Theme: Explore the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Anointing of the Sick
Virtue: Self Control (controlling your behavior and making sure your actions, thoughts and words please God and others)
WILDERNESS SNACK SEARCH
Sometimes we need to hunt for our food when we’re out in the wilderness. You’ll need to search for all the wilderness snack items on your list before sitting down to eat them.
- Potato chips (wood chips)
- Berry candies or fruit chewies (forest berries)
- Pretzel sticks (firewood)
- Animal crackers (wild animals)
- Plastic sandwich bags (1/child)
- (Opt.) Snack Search food tags
- (Opt.) Picnic blankets
- The wilderness snacks are hidden with leaders in the snack area.
- When you find a leader, they will put a snack in your bag.
- Gather the four different snacks and come back to eat them on the picnic blankets.
GET WELL SNACK
Learning about the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick makes us think of those who are sick, or perhaps of a time when we were sick. One of the most common things to eat to make us feel better when we are sick is chicken noodle soup, soda crackers and Ginger Ale.
- Chicken noodle soup (1 cup/child)
- Soda crackers (4/child)
- Ginger Ale (1 cup/child)
- Cups, spoons and straws (1/child)
- Make chicken noodle soup. Pour the soup into cups or bowls.
- With a partner, try feeding each other the chicken noodle soup and drink.
- This is a good lesson on thinking of others and helping them when they are sick.
Reconciliation and Anointing of the Sick are special sacraments of healing. When you receive these sacraments, you are being transformed, to become more like Christ. A butterfly also goes through an interesting process of transformation, when it changes from a caterpillar to a butterfly.
- Baby carrots (2/child)
- Pretzel sticks (2-3/child)
- Strawberries (4 slices/child)
- Apples (2 slices/child)
- Raisins or chocolate chips (10/child)
- To make your Butterfly Creations, use the carrot sticks for the body, the pretzels as the antennas, and the apples and strawberries as the wings.
- Use the chocolate chips to decorate the butterfly wings.
PUDDING POWDER POWER
Reconciliation and Anointing of the Sick are special sacraments of healing. When you receive these powerful sacraments, you are being transformed. You are becoming more like Christ. For our snack today, you will see a transformation that takes place. Something simple such as powder and milk will change into a Pudding Powder Power snack.
- Vanilla Pudding Boxes (1 - 102 g box for every 3 children)
- Cold milk (2/3 cup/child)
- Small plastic containers with lids (1/child)
- Spoons (1/child)
- Pour the pudding powder mix into the containers. (approx. ¼ cup)
- Each of you will get a container with pudding powder.
- A leader will come and pour milk into it.
- Secure the lid and start to shake it until it it turns into pudding. (about 3-4 minutes)
- Once the pudding is formed, open your container, grab a spoon and enjoy your Pudding Powder Power Snack!
You can play the VBS song “Change” while the kids are shaking their pudding.