In our home we try to keep Good Friday as a day of silence and prayer, free from electronics and other media. Here are 10 ideas you can do to help keep your kids focused on the meaning of this important day.
1. Color the Stations of the Cross and put them up around the house. You can find a free version to print off here.
2. Write encouraging notes to each person in your family. You can use these Cool Coupons!
3. Build a cross or a scene from the life of Jesus out of Lego.
4. Set up a prayer table in your room and spend some time in prayer.
5. Read the story of Jesus’ passion in your Bible. (Read it in a Children's Bible or from Matthew chapters 26 and 27)
6. Spend time outside and gather wood and stones to make a cross in your yard.
7. Do a good deed for someone in your family.
8. Go on a rosary walk.
9. Decorate a Stained Glass Cross and put it on your front door.
10. Make homemade bread and have it as part of a simple Good Friday meal. You could also make this Bread in a Jar and give it away as an Easter gift.
These are just a few ideas for your family to use during this sacred and solemn day. We also encourage you to watch a live stream Good Friday Service and to do the Stations of the Cross together.
If you're looking for more ideas for Easter weekend, check out our Triduum Traditions.
May God bless you and your family. You are in our prayers. Send us an email and let us know if there's anything we can pray for you specifically. We would love to hear from you.