We’re Catholics. We all know who Mary is. I mean, we see her statue in the corner of every Catholic Church from Alaska to Madagascar; we know the little group of faithful ladies who arrive at Mass a half hour early to pray with their rosary beads; and it’s not uncommon to see Our Lady of Guadalupe tattooed on someone’s arm or bedazzled on their t-shirt. But what on earth does that have to do with us? Who is this special woman who’s sparked such intense devotion and controversy across the globe? Is there more to Our Lady than little silver medals and plastic nativity scenes?
Oh my goodness... I wish I could surround that “yes” with neon lights and then hire one of those planes to write it in the clouds across the sky, because once you know the truth about Mary, there’s no going back. There’s a reason our first Cat.Chat CD was titled: Mary Leads Me Closer to Jesus.
So here are 10 quotes to help inspire you to make Mary more of a priority in your life. If you think a devotion to Mary isn’t a salvation issue, then these might make you rethink that…
1. "Jesus cannot be understood without his Mother." Pope Francis
2. "Men do not fear a powerful hostile army as the powers of hell fear the name and protection of Mary." St. Bonaventure
3. "To desire grace without recourse to the Virgin Mother is to desire to fly without wings." Pope Pius XII
4. "The reason why Christ is unknown today is because His Mother is unknown." Blessed Cardinal John Henry Newman
5. "Never be afraid of loving the Blessed Virgin too much. You can never love her more than Jesus did." St. Maximilian Kolbe
6. "Some people are so foolish that they think they can go through life without the help of the Blessed Mother." St. Padre Pio
7. "In trial or difficulty I have recourse to Mother Mary, whose glance alone is enough to dissipate every fear." St. Therese of Lisieux
8. "She is so full of love that no one who asks for her intercession is rejected, no matter how sinful he may be." St. Louis de Montfort
9. "From Mary we learn to surrender to God’s Will in all things. From Mary we learn to trust even when all hope seems gone. From Mary we learn to love Christ her Son and the Son of God!" St. John Paul II
10. "Before, by yourself, you couldn't. Now, you've turned to our Lady, and with her, how easy!" St. Josemaria Escriva
I don't know about you, but I was blown away when I read some of these. Not only is Mary important, but she's necessary! So what can we do about it? How can we develop a relationship with our Blessed Mother?
1. Consecration to Mary.
If you haven't consecrated yourelf to Mary, then now is the time. I guarantee it'll be a turning point in your faith life. I HIGHLY recommend you check out 33 Days to Morning Glory. It's simple, easy to read, and prepares you to make a total consecration to Mary through Jesus. It's also something you can do as a family.
2. Pray the Rosary.
Praying the rosary takes 15 min, which is probably less time than you spend aimlessly scrolling through your facebook newsfeed. Make the rosary a daily priority, and it will change your life. It's also important to pray with your kids, even if it's just a few Hail Mary's before bed.
There are many other ways you can build a relationship with Mary, but I strongly believe that these two things are the most effective ways. Some of the greatest saints of our time, John Paul II, Padre Pio, Maximillian Kolbe, and Mother Teresa were all extremely devoted to Mary. If we wish to imitate them, then I think we need to start turning to our Blessed Mother.
Share your favorite Marian quotes in the comment section, and let us know if you have any questions or cool stories about how Mary has impacted your life.