Have you been searching for the perfect game to play at your youth group, birthday party, or school retreat? We know the challenge of trying to find games that are "kid approved" and yet teach them something about the faith at the same time. We decided to choose some of our favorite games from our VBS programs for you to use at your next event. After all, we want the kids to have a "super fun and totally awesome" experience!
Hail Mary Hunt
The Hail Mary is a beautiful prayer. How many times do we say it when we pray the rosary? (53 times) Each time we pray a Hail Mary, we’re offering a gift of love to Mary, our Queen, so that she can present it even more beautifully to Jesus. This game is a fun way to help us learn and remember the Hail Mary.
Age level: 6 and up
- Print a Hail Mary Checklist for each child. (Or 1/team)
- Print the Hail Mary Hunt Posters and hide them in your games area.
- Place a different colored marker beside each poster.
- Each player (or team) will receive a Hail Mary Checklist. (Everyone on the team must stay together by linking arms.)
- Hunt for all seven posters that have the parts of the Hail Mary prayer.
- When you find a poster, check off the part of the prayer that matches the one on your checklist. Use the colored marker that you will find beside the poster and be sure to leave it there.
- The first team to fill up their checklist with the designated colors, wins.
This game is from the Cool Kingdom Party VBS program.
Dress Up for Mass Relay
Whenever we go to Mass, we want to try and look our very best because we are going to a celebration to meet Jesus in the Eucharist. In this game, we’ll get to see how we look “all dressed up” for Mass.
- Box (1/team)
- Oversized dress-up clothes (2 items/player) (Suit jackets, scarves, sweaters, ties, shoes, pants, long skirts, shirts, vests, etc.)
- Get into teams of 3-4.
- When the leader says “GO”, the first person from each team will run and put one piece of clothing on from their team box.
- The first players will run back to their team wearing their item.
- The next player from each team will go and do the same.
- Every player will have to run through twice until all the clothing item are used.
- The first team to all be wearing their “Sunday Best” wins.
This game is from the Marvelous Mystery VBS program.
Dancing With the Saints
The saints loved to celebrate and praise God! They had a lot of zeal for their faith and it got them excited. I’m sure sometimes they even started to dance because they were so joyful! In this game we’re going to praise God and imagine that we’re dancing with the saints.
- Dancing with the Saints Game Sheets
- Cat.Chat Music
- Print the game sheets and scatter them in the games area.
- When the music starts, you’re going to do your best dance moves around the circle.
- As soon as the music stops, you need to dance over to a saint and freeze there until a leader calls out one of the saint names: “Who is dancing near Saint John Bosco?”
- The kids who are standing closest to St. John Bosco are the winners!
- They can each get a small prize.
- When the music starts again, keep dancing until the leader calls out another saint.
This game is from the Radical Ride VBS program.
Birthday Buddy Gift Wrap
Every person is a precious gift from God and needs to be respected. Even though we’re all so different, God loves us all the same. This game will remind us that we should treat every person as a gift!
- Box of party supplies (1/group) (streamers, pieces of colorful gift wrap, balloons, party hats, self-adhesive gift bows, scissors, tape, etc.)
- Get into groups of 2-4.
- Find out whose birthday will be coming up next in your group.
- That person in your group will be called the Birthday Buddy.
- The Birthday Buddy from each group can grab a box of party supplies.
- Each group will have 5 minutes to wrap their Birthday Buddy like a gift; using the gift wrap, streamers, a party hat, stickers, bows and balloon.
- Everyone has to use ALL the supplies in their box. (except the roll of tape)
- There will be prizes for the best dressed Birthday Buddy.
- There will also be prizes for the funniest, coolest, best teamwork, and most creative Birthday Buddy. Note: Be sure to award a prize to each group for their great efforts.
This game is from the Birthday Blast VBS program.